Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Andy Murray Wants to Continue his Excellent Form of 2008

Andy Murray has said that he wants to build on the success he received in tennis circuit this year. The current world no. 4 Murray has perhaps seen his best ever year in 2008 after turning professional in 2005. Murray started the year at 11th and has won 5 ATP titles including 2 Masters Series. He also played his first grand slam this year in US Open 2008. However, Murray failed to finish the year with a title as he was crushed out of year-ending Masters Cup recently, being defeated by Nikolay Davydenko in the semi final. However, Murray defeated Andy Roddick, Gilles Simon and defending champion as well as world no. 2 Roger Federer in the earlier rounds of the tournament. Andy Murray has defeated Federer on three occasions this year.

Walesonline reported:

“The year as a whole has been awesome. At the end of last year, if someone would have told me I was going to be No 4 in the world, won the matches I have done, reach my first slam final and beat Federer three times, I would have taken that. I would have signed up for this year,” he said.

“I hope I can build on it next year. I’ll take a little bit of time off now, work as hard as possible to get ready for the beginning of next season, try and put on a little bit more weight, try and get physically stronger and see what happens.”

With Murray’s emergence as a new power of men’s tennis, the hope of British people to see another world class player from Britain now seems to have come to an end. For many years, there was no big star in Britain. Now, let us see if Andy Murray can successfully carry out the hopes of British tennis fans from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment