Sunday, October 19, 2008

Didier Drogba Happy to be Blamed for Chelsea’s Champions League Defeat to Manchester United

Last season, Chelsea lost to Manchester United on penalty shootout in the final of Champions League at Moscow. There are many who think it was Drogba’s red card for which Chelsea lost the game. Didier Drogba was shown red card after he had slapped opposition defender Nemanja Vidic during extra time. No doubt, he must have taken one of the spot kicks in the tie-breaker. However, Drogba also thinks that it could have gone otherway round if he did miss the penalty. Having said that, he apologies for his being booked in that match.

Goal.com reported:

“Sometimes I do that with success but sometimes I do too much, as I did to get that red card. I know it and I apologise. But we all make mistakes. That’s life,” said the Chelsea man, “But remember, I could have missed that penalty too. It was hugely disappointing because we had done so much to get to that final – especially after beating Liverpool.”

Yet the final defeat could prove extra motivation this season to go one better and Drogba admitted he would like nothing better than to score in the final. The striker explained: “And if we could get to the final this year, win it and I score one of the goals then, yes, that would be fantastic. Looking back at the game I think I gave it my best because I want to be No. 1.”

Drogba is confident that Chelsea can win Champions League this season. He added that it would be good if Chelsea faces Manchester United in the final once again. However, he could guess that Chelsea might have to face an English opponent, if the Blues can make it to the final this season too.

No comments:

Post a Comment