Monday, December 21, 2009

Lionel Messi of Barcelona becomes FIFA World Player of the Year

Lionel Messi of Barcelona has been awarded as the FIFA World Player of the Year 2009. He plays for Argentine national football team and he is the first footballer from his country to grab this award. Still, his strong performance for his Spanish Club Barcelona FC that brought him this success. Lionel Messi is just 22 years old and in the last one year, he has helped Barcelona to win 6 trophies in home and away.
His reaction was modest:
"A magnificent year for me and Barca has ended in the best way.
"No, please, I am not king of the world now, nor the number one, I don't believe in those things.
"I am the same person as always and I have the good fortune to play in a great team. It was an historic year for Barca and for me but it's thanks to the work of everyone."
Earlier this month, he became European Footballer. In both occasions, former Manchester United striker and current Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo was in second place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment