Friday, July 03, 2009

Midfielder Xabi Alonso to Stay at Liverpool

Liverpool’s Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso has said that he is not going to leave Anfield. The midfielder was linked with Italian club Juventus during last Summer when Liverpool was trying to sign Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry. Liverpool’s interest in Barry reportedly made Alonso bit angry and he was ready to leave the club. However, following Liverpool’s failure to sign the Villa captain, Xabi Alonso changed his mind and decided to stay at Liverpool. The decision paid with dividend for both the club and the player himself. Alonso has been in sparkling form so far this season and Liverpool is on the brink of going three points clear of Chelsea at the top of the table.

Goal.com reported:

“At some stage my future was not clear, I was wondering what was going to happen because there were propositions, but I prefer to move on,” he said.
“Of course the fans’ backing was a massive boost because they let me know they wanted me to stay.
“Of course I can see myself here for more years to come.
“I have a lot of very good examples to follow – I am very close friends with Sami Hyypia, he is a foreigner having a great career at Liverpool, and Didi Haman became important as a Liverpool player as well.”

Well, I personally believe that it would have been a very bad decision for Liverpool to leave Alonso. The Spanish midfielder has the ability to control the ball in the midfield and is perhaps one of the best holding midfielder in premier league now. Now, let us see if Xabi Alonso makes Anfield his home for rest of his career in club football.

(This entry was originally posted in this blog on Monday, December 1st, 2008 and the information is based on that time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment