Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ricky Hatton vs Paulie Malignaggi: Hatton Wants to be at his Best against Malignaggi

It has been about one year since British boxer Ricky Hatton suffered his career-first defeat at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas where he is going to appear once again on Saturday night (22 November 2008). He will face Paulie Malignaggi this time. In between this time, Hatton appeared in the ring only once in May when he needed every bit of his effort to defeat Mexican boxer Juan Lazcano by unanimous decision in May. Nicknamed Hitman, Hatton could not impress his fans with that victory as he had to struggle to stave off the challenge posed by Lazcano.

However, ahead of the showdown with Paulie Malignaggi, Hatton now seems to be confident and wants to be at his best. Getting trained under famous coach Floyd Mayweather Sr, Ricky Hatton has claimed to have improved in his techniques and methods. Hatton is the IBO light welterweight champion and Ring Magazine light welterweight title holder at this moment and he has put both his titles as well as the vacant IBF Light Welterweight on the line for the fight against former IBF junior welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi.

Press Association reported:

"I need to be at my best because I'm fighting my nearest rival in the division - and I will be at my best," said Hatton.

"I'm back down at my normal weight and back at the MGM Grand for the first time in a year, and I hope I have better luck than I did last time.

"But I've never lost at junior welterweight and I'm not going to lose on Saturday."

No doubt, Ricky Hatton is one of the best fighters in welterweight division. In fact, the defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been his only defeat so far in his vivid career with career record of 45-1 including 31 knock outs. However, Malignaggi’s career record is not bad either with 25-1 including 5 knock outs. So, Ricky Hatton can not afford to show any complacency against Paulie Malignaggi.

No comments:

Post a Comment