Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jelena Jankovic Wants to Win French Open 2008

You already know that defending champion of French Open women’s singles, Justine Henin, retired from tennis on 14 May 2008. She was holding the no. 1 slot of WTA ranking while announcing his retirement from Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Upon her retirement, Maria Sharapova becomes new no. 1 of WTA ranking. Similarly, the following players have also progressed one step in their ranking.

Current no. 3 of WTA ranking, Jelena Jankovic, has recently won Italian Open for the second consecutive year, after defeating France's Alize Cornet 6-2 6-2 in the final of Italian Open. The Serbian star has set now eyes now on French Open 2008 title. Last year, she had to get out of French Open 2007 being defeated by Justine Henin in the semi final. Now, Jelena Jankovic wants to win her first ever grand slam title in French Open 2008 that kicks off from 25 May 2008. Moreover, Jankovic thinks that she is now on the right track to become no.1 in WTA ranking.

Stuff reported:

"She was my worst opponent last year on clay. She was the only one I couldn't beat and she stopped me winning many tournaments on clay," Jankovic told a news conference after beating France's Alize Cornet 6-2 6-2 to claim her sixth career title.

"Now she's not playing I have a bigger chance. I'm playing well at the moment. I think I have a big opportunity to do well at the French Open.

"My goal and my dream is to become the number one in the world and I think I'm on the right track. If I continue like this, I have a big chance."

Jelena Jankovic could not even reach any Grand Slam final so far in her career. However, her recent performance is impressive and she has developed her skill and performance over the last year. She could reach the semi final of Australia Open 2008. Now, she eyes on Grand Slam title. I do not think that it would be easy for the 23-year-old tennis star, but she has definitely emerged as one of the hardest competitor in women’s tennis these days. Now, let us see if Jelena Jankovic can win the first Grand Slam title of his career in French Open 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment