Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chelsea vs Manchester United Champions League: Squad of Manchester United

In my earlier article, I talked about the possible squad of Chelsea for tonight’s Champions League match against Manchester United. Now, I am going to write on possible squad of Manchester United that would face Chelsea at the Luzhniki stadium of Moscow tonight. This is going to be the first Champions League final in which two English clubs are going to take on each other.

Here, I am giving a probable squad of Manchester United that I found in a vitalfootball article. Here is the squad:

Probable Squad of Manchester United from Vitalfootball:

Van der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown, Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez

It seems to be a 4-3-3 formation that is really very attacking and well-suited for Manchester United squad. However, I do not totally agree with the starting line up given in Vitalfootball. Here is my explanation:

Goal Keeper

The Dutch goal keeper is very effective in this kind of big matches thanks to his huge experience.

Defense

I agree with the back four given in the line up. Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic are impressive in the central defense, while Patrice Evra, in the left back, and Wes Brown, in the right back, are expected to be in starting line up.

Midfield

I think, Rooney and Paul Scholes are pretty much effective in the midfield. Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick both are holding midfielder. I do not think that they should play together in the starting line up. Rather either Hargreaves or Carrick should be in the starting line up, while Rooney is in the right wing. However, it is very difficult to choose someone for the left wing. I do not think that Wayne Rooney should play wide in the wing. At the beginning of the season, Rooney played in the left wing for some matches, but all those efforts went wrong. To me, either Ryan Giggs or Anderson should be included in the starting line up, while Nani could come in as a substitute to scale up their attack in the second half.

Striker

I think, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez could make a threatening combination in the up front of Manchester United. However, I prefer either Rooney or Tevez playing as a deep-lying centre forward, which would make it a 4-4-1-1 formation and make a link between midfield and attack, bringing a good variation in their attack in the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment