Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sania Mirza vs Venus Williams Australian Open: Sania Excited with Venus Clash

Sania Mirza advanced into the third round with a hard-fought victory over Timea Bacsinszky of Switzerland 6-1, 4-6, 7-5. Now, the world no. 32 has to face eighth seed Venus Williams in the third round of Australian Open 2008. No doubt, it is going to be another big match in her career. The Indian star could not go beyond third round of Australian Open so far.

It is true that she could not dominate over her opponent in the second round math. After an impressive start, Sania Mirza lost his rhythm in the middle of the game. Even the final set, she had to come from 3-1 down to wrap up the match. Her third round opponent, Venus Williams was not in her great form against Camille Pin in the second round. Though she managed to claim the victory in straight sets, she was not that much impressive with her game. She made many mistakes and was a bit lucky that her opponent also continued to do the mistakes.

Sania Mirza, in her post match reaction, has revealed she is excited to play Venus Williams, whom Sania Mirza described as one of the best players of present day. She has also stated that she will not have the advantaged that she had in the second round match because of the mistakes done by her opponent.

Tennis News reported:

Q. Do you approach the next match in any different way?
SANIA MIRZA: Yeah, I'm just going to go for it. I have nothing to lose. I'm very excited, actually, to play Venus. I think the last time I played her was in Stanford a couple years ago, and I haven't played her since. And obviously I feel like I'm playing well, and I'm playing better tennis than I was a couple of years ago. And so is she. But, you know, it's ‑‑ yeah, I'm very excited to play her, and rest up tomorrow.
Q. Venus said she expected you to be very aggressive. She said you're an aggressive type of player.
SANIA MIRZA: Well, it's not a secret anymore. I think everyone knows that by now, that I like to go for it. And I think she was surprised that I was not as aggressive. So I think it's a given because ‑‑ yeah, I've been on the circuit long enough for people to know what's good and what's not good in my game, relatively.

Moreover, Sania Mirza also revealed that it was mental strength that helped her to overcome her second round opponent. So, it is pretty much sure that Sania Mirza will try her best to take the chance against her. Even she has also said that she has nothing to lose against Venus Williams. Yes, that is the advantage of Sania Mirza. Now, let us see if Sania Mirza can finally cause another grand slam upset in the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment