Saturday, January 12, 2008

Rafael Nadal in Australian Open Tennis 2008

Rafael Nadal is the second seed of Australian Open 2008. He is best known for his three successive French Open singles titles. However, he is one of the strongest contenders of singles titles of Australian Open tennis this year. This Spaniard could not do well so far in Australian Open in his short career. His best Australian Open Performance was recorded in 2007 when he could reach the quarter final. To many, Nadal is the only player who is capable to stop Roger Federer’s impressive run in the grand slam tournament. He is 21 year old and has already posed some threats to the world no. 1.

Ahead of the Australian Open 2008, there is report out that Rafael Nadal is not fit enough following his 6-0 6-1 defeat to Mikhail Youzhny in the Chennai Open final last week. However, the Spanish star has denied having any physical problem. Rather, he pointed out the hectic schedule of the tournament.

IOL reported:

"I was only tired, It was a terrible semi-final, a four-hour match, and I only had less than 24 hours to recover. I went to sleep late because it finished late. It was tough to recover," he said.
"Last year was probably my worst year, I played bad tennis," he said.
"This year I am arriving well, practicing well, and I had some matches in Chennai. So I hope all will be fine for Monday.
"It's going to be interesting, I'm going to try my best and I think I am prepared."

Nadal had to come out form a four hour long semi final against Carlos Moya just less then 24 hours before he took on Mikhail Youzhny in the final. Rafael Nadal may not have to face any strong challenge to make it to the fourth round of Australian Open 2008. However, his fourth round opponent could be fellow Spaniard Moya. In the quarter final, Any Roddick or Tommy Robredo would be his possible opponent. If Nadal can break the hurdle of quarter final, then Richard Gasquet or Andy Murray or Nikolay Davydenko could be the most likely semi final opponent Rafael Nadal. So, there is a strong possibility to experience Federer-Nadal final, even before the French Open!

No comments:

Post a Comment