Monday, November 06, 2006

Madrid Open Tennis: Sharpova to Be the No. 1?

Sharapova is going to participate in the last WTA tournament of this season in Madrid, Spain. She is one of the three players participating in this tournament who have chance to finish this year being the number one in the ranking. She is currently in the second position in the women’s ranking. She is excited with this tournament and happy with her performance of this season as she won her second Grand Slam title in US Open. She also won 5 titles in this year. I am quoting her expression from a Reuters report:

"This has been one of the best years for me. I've won a second major and I've been very consistent,"

"I was very proud to win a second major and to beat Amelie (Mauresmo) and Justine (Henin-Hardenne) in back-to-back matches when I did it."
"It's definitely good to be at the last tournament of the year. I'm tired, excited but really looking forward to it. If I keep winning then the ranking will take care of itself.
"I don't set myself goals, I prefer to go with the flow. If you do and get injured then you get really down. You just have to live life by the day."
Mauresmo, the current title holder of this tournament, has the similar chance to finish this year as no. 1. She got a shoulder injury and now is looking forward to hold the title. She says:
"I'm feeling much better and these few days I've had off have done me good," said the Frenchwoman. "I'm not serving at 100 percent just yet but I am going in the right direction.
"Once I got injured the number one spot went out of my mind. I knew it would be difficult but I'm just pleased to be playing. The good part is that I'm fresh both mentally and physically. "It's very different from when I came last year. I had no confidence and all of a sudden everything came together."
Henin-Hardenne is the third candidate hoping to finish the year with the first positon in the ranking. It is injury she fears might be appeared during the tournament and that is why, injury has been her first competitor.
She says ahead of this tournament:
"I'm just happy to be here. Just a few days ago I didn't think I'd be able to make it," said the Belgian who is returning to action after sustaining a calf injury during the Fed Cup final against Italy in September.
"I'm not here to become number one again. My main goal was to play in the Championships because I missed out on the last two editions. I've got nothing to lose as I've had a great season."
Former world no. one Martina Hingis has anticipation with this tournament as she views it as a chance to prove her full pace again in the international tennis as she was used to earlier in her career.
With so many players, so many hopes and competition over the world ranking has already given an additional dimension in this tournament. Who knows, a new comer may come up with something magical to win the title making all the assumption in veil.

No comments:

Post a Comment