Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sharapova Won the Linz Open 2006

Maria Sharapova has won her 15 career titles in the way of winning the final of Linz Open on Sunday. Through this win she could increase her winning streak to 16 and her record in final has increased at 15-4.

Sharapova defeated her native Nadia Petrova by two direct sets, 7-5, and 6-2. In the way of winning this championship she won her 5th title in this year. Though she started the match well but at 4-3, she made double fault and Nadia got the serve. After that she backed to the match through saving two set points. Then in the second set Nadia could not stand to Sharapova.

I am quoting Sharapova through a International Herald Tribune report:


"I started very well, but got a bit tired towards the end of the first set," Sharapova said. "Saving the two set points gave me a huge boost. I always play my best tennis when under pressure."

Nadia Petrova expressed her distress after the match and I am quoting her from the same article:

“I am so disappointed,” Petrova said. “I really got my chances in the first set. But after missing them, I just did not play up to my usual standards anymore.”

Sharapova has a chance to finish this session as the top in the world ranking. To turn this anticipation true, she has to win the last WTA championship in Madrid, Spain. Sharapova has desire to finish this year as no. 1 which she lost in 2005.

She said, "It is my dream to end the year on the No. 1 spot again.”

It seems that Sharapova is going to regain his top position as this year she showed a good consistency in the court. No body will wonder if she ends the year being in the top of the ranking. To tell the truth, Sharpova is in her best form.

No comments:

Post a Comment